Nearly half of students say they doubt their ability to succeed in college when enrolling, according to a survey on the student experience from education provider Anthology.
The survey, Student Feedback Informs Admissions and Enrollment Strategies, highlights the experience of U.S. college students during the admissions and enrollment process.
The survey also identifies student priorities and concerns when determining whether to apply to a U.S. institution. The results reveal strategies that institutions can implement to attract more applicants and deliver a better student experience.
Key findings of the survey include:
- More than 60% of respondents relied on internet searches and institutions’ websites for information about institutions and their academic programs, with only 17% relying on guidance counselors
- 48% of student respondents doubted their ability to succeed in college when enrolling
- 32% of respondents rated the availability of online courses as either the most important or second most important element when researching potential universities
- 40% of respondents indicated that the enrollment process would have been easier if there was an advisor to speak with to help answer questions
How Students Source Information on Universities
When it comes to attracting applicants, nearly two-thirds (63%) of responding students indicated that they use the university’s website as the first channel to gather information about university applications.
Recommendation: It is critical for institutions to ensure their website is engaging, easy to use, and geared toward prospective students.
Communication During Application Process
Communication is imperative during the application process as the majority (67%) of respondents stated that clear steps and requirements for the application and admissions process would be most helpful in their enrollment journey compared to other information. As for the method of communication, 65% of respondents prefer communications during the application and enrollment process through email and 52% prefer phone calls.
- IT leaders are critical for a positive student experience - June 2, 2023
- OER can play a role in student retention and success - May 29, 2023
- Are educators using ChatGPT to write lesson plans? - May 26, 2023