A Northeastern University professor said the MOOC will focus on individual decision-making in giving.

Billionaire Warren Buffett and his sister Doris have been gradually donating their riches to various causes and projects over the years. In fact, Doris Buffett hopes to redistribute all of her wealth before she dies, and has already given away more than $150 million of it.

Doris Buffett is now letting the students who are taking a new massive open online course (MOOC) about philanthropy decide what to do with another $100,000 of her money.

More than 4,000 people have already signed up for the course, which is called “Give With Purpose.” If more people join, the amount of money being given away could grow.  While the Buffets will be the first guest speakers during the MOOC, it will also feature  philanthropic advice from baseball legend Cal Ripken Jr. and the founders of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield.

Each of the givers will be featured in videos at the end of each of the six class sessions discussing an aspect of philanthropy.

“Giving With Purpose allows us to extend the classroom walls to include any individual passionate about philanthropy,” Doris Buffett said in a statement. “There are thousands of people with the energy and ideas to make a difference.”

The MOOC is based on a class that has been taught at more than 30 universities that allows students to give away $10,000 after evaluating several nonprofits and learning about effective giving. This online offering allowed Doris Buffett’s Sunshine Lady Foundation to expand the classes without adding staff to manage the program.

See Page 2 for what students may learn from the course. 

About the Author:

Jake New

Jake New studied journalism at Indiana University, where he was editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, the Indiana Daily Student. At the IDS, Jake covered the IU administration, minority student issues, and state education policy. After a brief stint at the Bloomington Herald-Times covering IU, crime, and local politics, Jake interned at the Chronicle of Higher Education in Washington D.C, writing about online learning, open-access policies, academic publishing, and ed-tech startups. Jake joined eCampus News as an assistant editor in May 2013, where he continues to cover technology and higher education. His days often begin with a cup of coffee and the sinking feeling that another MOOC story is just around the corner. Follow Jake via Twitter: @eSN_Jake

Add your opinion to the discussion.