Five people died at the scene of the shooting.

A former student at a small Christian university had gone to the building to find a female administrator and opened fire when she was not there, killing at least seven people, police said Tuesday.

One L. Goh “then went through the entire building systematically and randomly shooting victims,” Oakland Police Chief Howard Jordan said at a news conference.

“We do know that he was upset at administrators at the school. We do know that he was upset with several students here because of the way he was treated when he was enrolled here two months ago,” Jordan said.

He said Goh had been teased although he did not elaborate. The 43-year-old South Korean national had been expelled, possibly for behavioral problems, according to Jordan.

“We’ve learned that this was a very chaotic, calculated and determined gentleman that came there with a very specific intent to kill people, and that’s what his motive was and that’s what he carried out,” Jordan told “Good Morning America.”

Goh left behind a string of debts and minor traffic citations in his former home state of Virginia and was evicted from one apartment complex in the state, according to ABC News Bay Area affiliate KGO.

Soon after the shooting Monday, heavily armed officers swarmed the tiny college of fewer than 100 students in a large industrial park near the Oakland airport. For a time, police believed the gunman could still be inside. But he wasn’t.

Instead, officers said he apparently drove about three miles from campus before surrendering to officers inside a supermarket.

Those connected to the school, including the founder and several students, described the gunman as a former nursing student.

Police first received a 911 call at 10:33 a.m. reporting a woman on the ground bleeding. As more calls came in from the school, the first arriving officer found a victim suffering from a life-threatening gunshot wound, he said.

More officers arrived and formed a perimeter around the school on the belief that the suspect was still inside, he said.

“Potential victims remained inside the building either trapped by a locked door which officers were unable to open,” Jordan said. Others were unable to flee because they were injured, he said.

Jordan said there were about 35 people in or near the building when gunfire broke out. Of the seven fatalities, five died at the scene and another two at the hospital. The wounded victims are in stable condition, and at least one person has been released from the hospital. He told GMA on Tuesday the victims ranged in age from 21 to 40.

“This unprecedented tragedy was shocking and senseless,” Jordan said.


Add your opinion to the discussion.