The Ford Motor Company on Sept. 10 became the first automaker to endorse a federal ban on sending text messages while driving, reports the New York Times. Ford issued a statement in support of legislation proposed by Senator Charles E. Schumer, D-N.Y., that would cut by 25 percent the federal highway financing given to states that did not comply with a text-messaging ban. Ford also said it supported a similar proposal in the House by New York Democrat Carolyn McCarthy. "The most complete and … recent research shows that activity that draws drivers’ eyes away from the road for an extended period while driving, such as text messaging, substantially increases the risk of accidents," Ford’s statement reads. Other major automakers have not yet taken a position on the bill. Text-messaging bans already have been enacted in 14 states and the District of Columbia. The Governors Highway Safety Association, which represents state highway safety officials, said last month that it favored a nationwide text-messaging ban. Earlier, it had been opposed to such a law, saying enforcement would be too difficult…

Click here for the full story

About the Author:

eSchool News


Add your opinion to the discussion.