Alarming new data reveals that only a jaw-dropping 11 percent of postsecondary students report feeling very prepared to enter the workforce.
Only one-third of a third of students say they have had great university experiences–a worrisome statistic as the student experience becomes more critical to universities competing for enrollments in a post-pandemic learning environment.
Salesforce’s third annual Connected Student Report surveyed more than 1,300 students and 1,300 higher education professionals around the world, and suggests institutions must innovate and change if they hope to to attract and retain students.
Key findings include:
- Almost half (47%) of students selected their institutions based on potential future career prospects, yet just 11% felt very prepared for the world of work.
- Just a third of students surveyed rated their onboarding experience highly.
- Only 2% of students who reported a poor onboarding experience say they went on to have a great university experience overall.
- Almost half (48%) of students predicted their qualifications would only be relevant for their chosen career path for five years or less after graduation.
- Higher education institutions have a long way to go to make students feel at home – only 12% of students reported they felt a strong sense of belonging at their schools.