A sunny picture with the words "Interns Wanted!"

The latest educational innovation for career prep: micro-internships

Students who can't do a full internship can still reap advantages with this new type of offering

Long-lasting benefits for students

Parker Dewey keeps 10 percent of a micro-internship’s payment as set by the client firm, and the student gets the remaining 90 percent. Upon completion of a micro-internship project, the client company can provide feedback on the student’s work. This review includes an overall rating and an evaluation of the student’s performance in five specific areas: timeliness, communication, quality, presentation, and skill level. In addition, companies can offer confidential feedback directly to the student.

Micro-internships are a logical offshoot of the “gig economy,” in which organizations contract with independent workers for short-term engagements. Because a large majority of micro-internships are completed online, students don’t benefit from exposure to the workplace culture as they would in a full-time internship. However, advocates of micro-internships say they still offer many key advantages.

“Micro-internships are a fantastic way for students to prepare and make themselves more competitive applicants, or to try out a new career field that interests them before committing to a full-time internship (or career),” says Daw.

eSchool Media Contributors

"(Required)" indicates required fields