From more than 100 submissions and 3,700 public votes, six contest winners have been chosen
Boston, MA, May 30, 2014 — How would you engage students if you were the instructor for one day? This is the question that Cengage Learning, a leading education company, posed to students earlier this year as the foundation of their Instructor for a Day contest. The contest encouraged students to use creativity to demonstrate how they would instruct a class and engage students, given the opportunity. Cengage Learning today announced the six winners – with the first place student receiving a $1,000 scholarship and the five runners-up each winning $500 scholarships from the company.
The winning submissions can be found on the Cengage Learning Blog. The scholarship recipients are as follows in order of votes received:
• First Place: Matthew Abeler, University of Northwestern of St. Paul
• Runner Up: Steven Doung, Middlesex Community College
• Runner Up: Kayla Orlinsky, Irvine Valley College
• Runner Up: Brittany Kovel, Kennesaw State University
• Runner Up: Nathan Le, Houston Community College
• Runner Up: LaRia Brent, Concordia University Wisconsin
“We were impressed by each submission we received for the Instructor for a Day contest, which exemplified students’ needs and wants in a learning environment,” said Daniel White, Vice President, Web and Student Marketing, Cengage Learning. “Putting students’ needs first is crucial in the development of learning tools and we value their ideas and insight. We are proud to recognize these creative winners, along with all other contest participants.”
Participants submitted a YouTube video with #InstructorForADay explaining their method of instruction. Entries were narrowed down to ten finalists by independent judges based on creativity, overall appeal, quality of answer, memorability, audio/visual quality and overall impact. The judging was then opened to the public to vote and determine the ultimate prize winner.
To learn more about the Instructor for a Day contest, please visit www.cengage.com/instructorforadaycontest.
About Cengage Learning
Cengage Learning is a leading educational content, technology, and services company for the higher education and K-12, professional and library markets worldwide. The company provides superior content, personalized services and course-driven digital solutions that accelerate student engagement and transform the learning experience. Cengage Learning is headquartered in Boston, MA with operations in more than 20 countries around the world. www.cengage.com.
- EDUCAUSE and University of Central Florida enable blended learning innovation - February 27, 2017
- Collabco launches personalized academic organizer - September 1, 2016
- Wayne State University targets retention and graduation rates - September 1, 2016