Coursera will soon double the number of its employees.

A growing backlash and simmering resentment among some faculty toward massive open online courses (MOOCs), coupled with low retention rates, means the technology’s future, and its ability to change higher education, is not yet certain.

But a handful of investors have enough faith in the much-hyped movement that they have just given more than $40 million to MOOC platform Coursera.

The funds come from GSV Capital, International Finance Corporation, Laureate Education, Inc., Learn Capital and venture capitalist Yuri Milner. Altogether, $43 million was raised during Coursera’s Series B funding.

The company, which is less than two years old, had previously collected $22-million in funding.

“We have selected our investors carefully to make sure their goals align closely with our own,” said Daphne Koller, who co-founded Coursera with Andrew Ng. “This new round of funding will only serve to help us move more quickly in our efforts to provide learning without limits to people around the world.”

The sizable investment comes on the heels of Coursera expanding its university partnerships to 10 state and public flagship institutions. The company currently works with 83 institutions and offers 400 free courses to more than 4 million students around the world.

With the additional funding, Coursera hopes to bring its number of employees to 100 — doubling its size — and make serious strives toward mobile and more collaborative learning environments, which remains one of the larger hurdles facing MOOC adoption.

See Page 2 for what else Coursera may use the money for.

About the Author:

Jake New

Jake New studied journalism at Indiana University, where he was editor-in-chief of the campus newspaper, the Indiana Daily Student. At the IDS, Jake covered the IU administration, minority student issues, and state education policy. After a brief stint at the Bloomington Herald-Times covering IU, crime, and local politics, Jake interned at the Chronicle of Higher Education in Washington D.C, writing about online learning, open-access policies, academic publishing, and ed-tech startups. Jake joined eCampus News as an assistant editor in May 2013, where he continues to cover technology and higher education. His days often begin with a cup of coffee and the sinking feeling that another MOOC story is just around the corner. Follow Jake via Twitter: @eSN_Jake

Add your opinion to the discussion.