Claire Bloxom, PR Rep for Overland Partners
(214) 329-9191, email@example.com
NEW 285-ACRE NORTHEAST LAKEVIEW COLLEGE COMPLETE NEAR SAN ANTONIO
The $125 million Northeast Lakeview College consists of nine buildings of academic and learning space with the capacity to serve 15,000 students;
Was built in just four years
SAN ANTONIO, December 14, 2009 – Northeast Lakeview College, the newest addition to Alamo Colleges (formerly Alamo Community College District), is complete. Built in two phases in just four years, the new nine-building college campus is located off Loop 1604 & Kitty Hawk Road in Universal City, Texas, about 15 miles northeast of San Antonio. The 285-acre campus has the capacity to serve 15,000 students and is the result of a $125 million bond that voters approved in 2005. Northeast Lakeview College was designed by San Antonio-based Overland Partners Architects in collaboration with Ford Powell & Carson.
Phase I opened in fall 2008 and consisted of five of the new campus’ nine buildings, including the Library and Learning Resource Center, the Academic Building, the Career Technology Building, the Science Building and the Physical Plant/Operations Building. Phase II opened in fall 2009 and consisted of the campus’ final four buildings, including the Fine Arts Building, the Performing Arts Center, the Wellness Building and the Student Commons/Student Services Building.
The “jewel” of the campus, designed by Overland Partners, is the 82,000-square-foot Library and Learning Resource Center, which contains a 35,000-square-foot state-of-the-art library, learning labs, a cyber café, an auditorium, student art center, and 40,000 square feet of teaching and administrative office space. It is also home to a campus plaza with westward views of an expansive field dotted with plants leading to the adjacent Live Oak Lake. In addition, a 105-foot clock tower was built in the heart of the Center to symbolize a sense of community for all students, faculty and visitors. Multiple sustainable features were implemented in its design, including daylighting, operable sunscreens, roof monitors for skylights, and capturing condensate from the AC units on campus to use for landscape features.
“The careful consideration of material selection and construction details created a campus of consistent aesthetics with overall integrity that will stand the test of time,” said Cliff Whittingstall, project manager at Overland Partners.
Additional buildings at Northeast Lakeview College include:
· The 62,000-square-foot Academic Building, with academic classrooms, laboratories and faculty office space;
· The 21,000-square-foot Career Technology Building, with classrooms, laboratories and office space;
· The 26,000-square-foot Science Building with biology, chemistry, physics, and astronomy laboratories, classrooms, preparation areas and office space;
· The 21,000-square-foot Physical Plant/Operations Building with facility operations space for maintenance, grounds and house-keeping, the department of public safety, building trades, HVAC equipment and office space;
· The 23,500-square-foot Fine Arts Building with classrooms, practice rooms, a rehearsal hall, drawing studio and office space;
· The 25,000-square-foot Performing Arts Center with an auditorium, stage, gallery, green room, costume storage and dressing room space;
· The 40,000-square-foot Wellness Building with two dance studios, a basketball court, a weight room, classrooms, a nutrition laboratory and offices; and
· The 65,000-square-foot Student Commons/Student Services Building that provides space in support of a comprehensive student services program which includes a dining hall, enrollment services, student activities center and lounge, opportunity mall, lecture theater, print shop, bookstore, business offices and classrooms.
“Northeast Lakeview College is truly unique in that it was master planned and then completely built all throughout a short four-year timeframe. Most college campuses compose a master plan and then it takes decades to get all the buildings built,” said Tim Blonkvist, principal in charge at Overland Partners. “The fact that the project team was able to work with such quick turnaround and create this beautiful college campus in just four years is fascinating and a testament to the dedication of everyone involved.”
In addition to Overland Partners and Ford Powell & Carson as the architects, other project team members include Austin Commercial as the general contractor; Broaddus & Associates as the construction/program manager; Datum Engineers as the structural engineer; Pape-Dawson Engineers as the civil engineer; Goetting & Associates and San Antonio-based CNG Engineering as the MEP engineers; and San Antonio-based CFZ Group as the landscape architect.
Northeast Lakeview College is one of several higher education institutions that Overland Partners has within their portfolio, with others including the new Business School Building at Baylor University in Waco, Texas; the new Academic Building at the University of North Texas at Dallas, the new Student Activity Center and School of Liberal Arts at the University of Texas at Austin; and Pennsylvania State University’s (Penn State) School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture and the recently-completed Arboretum at Penn State, both in University Park, PA.
ABOUT OVERLAND PARTNERS
Overland Partners Architects, founded in 1985 in San Antonio, Texas, is a realization of a vision to bring together a wide range of talents in architecture and planning, in order to provide comprehensive and multi-disciplinary design service. Sensitive to the environmental and aesthetic context in which we are asked to design, the firm strives for a thoughtful integration of technology, art, and craft through highly sustainable solutions. Overland Partners Architects offers its clients the ultimate goal of creating a beautiful, functional and enduring design through a process that inspires long-term relationships and is rewarding to the entire project team. For more information, visit www.overlandpartners.com.
ABOUT NORTHEAST LAKEVIEW COLLEGE
Northeast Lakeview College, the newest of the Alamo Community Colleges, sits on 245 acres and provides more than 365,000 square feet of academic space. For more information, visit Northeast Lakeview College on the web at www.accd.edu/nlc.
# # #
Interviews and high-resolution images available upon request.