Washington, D.C. (Dec. 4, 2009) – Innovation and growth of new education technologies, particularly those represented during the acclaimed Innovation Incubator presentations, played a pivotal role during the 9th annual Ed Tech Business Forum, sponsored by the Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) this week in New York City.
SIIA’s recently selected 2009 Innovation Incubator participants represent pre-revenue companies, non-profit groups, R&D agencies, and academic institutions, and were introduced during the recent conference.
Focusing on how critical innovation is to the future of the education industry, the SIIA Education Division narrowed the list of applicants to 10 participants and two finalists:
– Big Universe, Inc., for BigUniverse.com
– Skill-Life, Inc., for Cents City
– Engaged Minds, Inc., for Engaged Minds
– Flat World Knowledge for Flat World Knowledge
– National Geographic Society for The JASON Project
– KidsWrite for KidsWrite
– Livescribe, Inc., for Livescribe Pulse Smartpen
– Coaxis Services, Inc., for PrazAs Live
– Arizona State University for SMALLLAB (Situated Multimedia Arts Learning Lab)
– Waterford Institute for Waterford Assessment of Core Skills™ (WACS)
– KnowledgeBears.com, Inc., for KBTeachers.com (Finalist)
– Inigral for Schools on Facebook (Finalist)
SIIA continued the celebration of the Innovation Incubator organizations during a special awards ceremony held at the conclusion of the Ed Tech Business Forum:
– The "Most Innovative Education Product or Service" award was given to Livescribe, Inc., for Livescribe Pulse Smartpen.
– The Runner-up award was given to Arizona State University for SMALLLAB (Situated Multimedia Arts Learning Lab).
– The "Most Likely to Succeed in the Education Market" award was given to Waterford Institute for Waterford Assessment of Core Skills™ (WACS).
– The Runner-up award was given to Flat World Knowledge for Flat World Knowledge.
According to Karen Billings, Vice President for SIIA’s Education Division, "We are truly impressed by this year’s line-up of Innovation Incubator participants, and by those organizations that received Incubator Awards. The more than 270 industry executives who attended the Ed Tech Business Forum in-person and online this year believe these organizations will help lead innovation in developing the technology-rich learning opportunities educators need."
The Innovation Incubator program connects the developers of promising, new technologies with industry leaders, potential investors and established organizations seeking partnerships or prospects for acquisition. The 29 applicants were assessed based on key selection criteria, including alignment to SIIA’s Vision K_20 Benchmarks: 21st century tools; anytime/anywhere access; differentiated learning; assessment tools; and enterprise support.
The Ed Tech Business Forum is the leading business and finance conference for the K-12 and postsecondary education market. For more information regarding the forum and this year’s Innovation Incubator program, please visit www.edtechbusinessforum.net.
The Software & Information Industry Association (SIIA) is the principal trade association for the software and digital content industry. SIIA provides global services in government relations, business development, corporate education and intellectual property protection for more than 500 leading software and information companies. For further information, visit www.siia.net.
About SIIA’s Education Division
SIIA’s Education Division serves and represents more than 150 member companies that provide software, digital content and other technologies that address educational needs. The Division shapes and supports the industry by providing leadership, advocacy, business development opportunities and critical market information. SIIA provides a neutral business forum for its members to understand business models, technological advancements, market trends, and best practices. With the leadership of the Division Board and collaborative efforts with educators and other stakeholders, the Division undertakes initiatives to enhance the use of educational technology and the success of SIIA members.
# # #