Fumes from bottle sicken students at Ill. school

Authorities in the Chicago suburb of Lockport, Ill., locked down a high school campus after mysterious fumes from a bottle left in a hallway sent 13 students to a hospital.

The district says the plastic bottle released black smoke May 11 at Lockport Township High School’s Central Campus.

Freshman Chloe Varsek says she heard a pop as loud as a gun as she sat in class. She then began to smell a rotten-egg odor. Students then huddled in locked classrooms for more than two hours.

A spokewoman at Joliet’s Silver Cross Hospital says 10 of the students taken there have been released and the three others could be released soon.

The school sent students home before noon while police investigated.