New: 10 of the best Apple and Android apps for higher education in 2013
Name: Khan Academy
What is it? The Khan Academy app is the best way to view Khan Academy’s complete library of over 3,500 videos. Khan Academy covers a massive number of topics, including K-12 math, science topics such as biology, chemistry, and physics, and even the humanities with playlists on finance and history. Spend an afternoon brushing up on statistics. Discover how the Krebs cycle works. Learn about the fundamentals of computer science.
Best for: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 5.1 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5; Requires Android 2.2 and up.
- Downloadable videos: take individual videos or entire playlists to watch offline at your own pace.
- Subtitles: follow along, skip ahead, or go back by navigating through subtitles.
- Track your progress: Log in with your Khan Academy user account to get credit for watching videos, and see your achievements
Name: Popplet Lite
What is it? Popplet Lite is a platform for your ideas. Popplet’s super simple interface allows you to move at the speed of your thoughts. With Popplet you can capture your ideas and sort them visually in real time.
Best for: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 5.0 or later.
Price: FREE for Lite version that includes 1 Popplet. The full version of Popplet at $4.99 lets you create an unlimited number of local Popplets.
- Explore Ideas: Brainstorming, Mindmapping.
- Plan Projects: Diagrams, Process Charts.
- Record Thoughts: Journals, Notes, Lists.
- Collect Inspiration: Mood Boards, Scrapbook, Travel Plans.
- Create Galleries: Photo albums, Portfolios, Presentations.
- Study: School Projects, Class Notes.
- Boundless Boards.
- Pan and Zoom.
- External VGA Display Support.
- Multi Language Support.
- PDF and JPEG Export.